Costume films are one of the most popular and endearing genres of the medium. They have been made since the silent era, right through to the modern day and have changed and shifted as cinema and society has. The costume films that are made at a certain time often reflect the feelings and focus of that “current” era, think Dangerous Liaisons reflecting the lavish excess of the 1980s in pre-Revolution France, and Sophia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette showing the shifting perceptions of female historical figures that began in the late 20th century.
I think that for as long as there is cinema and stories to tell, there will be costume orientated films.
The lovely Paul of Silver Screen Classics has agreed to be my intrepid cohost in this adventure of bustles, tights, chain mail and so on and so forth!
Here are the rules for the Blogathon:
1. There have been hundreds of costume films and television series made. Because of this, we will be allowing NO duplicates, and only three posts per participant. Please only submit new work, as we won’t be accepting any posts written previously.
2. You can write about any kind of Costume film you like. Whether it be a comedy, drama or musical. However, the film must be set any time from Before the Current Era to the 1960s. So films that are set in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s or 2020s do not count. It is a costume film Blogathon after all 🙂
3. This blogathon is dedicated to costume films and we want to celebrate them, so let’s please keep things nice and not write anything derogatory or defamatory about these types of films.
4. The Blogathon is being held from the 19th to the 20th of March, 2022. Please submit your entries either before or by those dates. If you find that you need a little extension, please let either me or Paul know.
5. Please take one of the banners and put it somewhere on your site to promote the blogathon. We’d also very much appreciate it if you included one of the banners in your post for the blogathon.
6. And most importantly, please let us know what you would like to write about for the blogathon, by either commenting on this post, Paul’s post or leaving a reply on my contact page, or contacting me on twitter @noir_or_never or Paul @PaulBee71. Please include the name of your blog and a link to it, as we don’t really want to act as amateur sleuths and hunt for you! Please tag me and Paul on twitter when you share your entry on there, so we can retweet it 🙂
List of Participants
Pale Writer: Sense and Sensibility (1995) and Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Silver Screen Classics: Marie Antoinette (1938)
Taking Up Room: Lights Of Old Broadway (1925)
Realweegiemidget Reviews: Mrs Stoffel (1984)
Whimsically Classic: The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
Silver Screenings: The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)
Fletch Talks: Excalibur (1981)
Cinematic Scribblings: Howard’s End (1992)
Charity’s Place: Jane Eyre (2006), Nightmare Alley (2021) and Last Night in Soho (2021) (TBC)
Brittany B: The Toy Wife (1938)
The Stop Button: The Desert of the Tartars (1976)
18 Cinemalane: Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)
The Classic Movie Muse: Jupiter’s Darling (1955)
Cinemaven: Belle (2013)